Thursday, January 10, 2008

What would you do???



Okay, I need all of your honest advice? What would you do (notice, I said, what would you do, not what do you want me to do)if you found a house that you could afford, that would be bigger for your family to grown into. In a great nice neighborhood and only 5.8 miles away from your husbands work?

Eric and I didn't think we would be able to afford a new house anytime soon. We love our house, other than it is small. We love our neighborhood, our ward and all the friends we have made. Really there would be absolutley no reason to move except we could get a bigger home that we could grow into, instead of out of. We went and looked at the house with our agent. Our agent talked to the other agent and we could totally get into this house for what we could sell our hosue for. We have figured out that with how much equity we have in this house, we would be paying the same amount on our mortgage. Would you stay, where you would be closer to your family (who rarely comes and see's me anyways, I usually go visit them, and that wouldn't change. I also have really good friends here and am very comfortable. Or would you make the move so your family could have something bigger and nicer? After all a deal like this doesn't come along everyday. I find it very interesting that it fell into my lap the way it did.

If you are interested in looking at other pics go to:

www.windermere.com - then in the bottom right hand of the screen type in MLS#27202286

11 comments:

jjstringham said...

What I would do is to just lust after the house and not really do anything about it. Because that's just the way I am. It does look like a pretty cute house though.

theamazingjohnsons said...

I would do it. That may be because we are renting and if I had the chance to buy something big and beautiful like that, I would. What I want you to do and what I think you should do are two different things. :) Just pray about it...which I'm sure you will. Sorry I don't have any better advice!

Our Beautiful Life said...

It's a pretty house. I think if it works out, you should try for it. If it is meant to be for your family, it will work out. If not, then there is something better. I know you love your neighborhood but you know you can't stay forever, and if this house is the right one for you, then you can't let it slip away. Good luck.

Rebecca said...

I think that only you guys know what is right for your family!
If you feel good about it then that's your answer! :)

PS.. LOVE the house!

The Dillon 6 said...

I went to Windermere and the house is SOLD. Isn't that terrible? How could that happen? It's such a beautiful house.

Doug and I just couldn't resist and made the purchase this morning.

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHA! ;)

It's BEAUTIFUL! If you and Eric feel that it's the right thing to do, then Go For It! Becca and I are going to buy a boat this summer, so we'd be spending a lot of time at your Lake anyway... won't a boat look good in your driveway? ;)

The Dillon 6 said...

On a more serious note.

FIRST, the house is beautiful. The staircase alone would seal the deal for me. Forget about the beautifully landscaped backyard. Only thing better would be if it's on a culdesac.

SECOND, when Doug and I made the decision to leave New York it was very difficult. We had no "family" there, but we had become very close to friends who we considered as family. We lived there for 11 years (4 places; 2 wards/branches). I still get weepy when I think about the fact that we are not there and that we will probably never be able to afford to move back.

That said, however, the new life that we have here has made it all worthwhile. We love our neighborhood. We have THE BEST neighbors and friends. The schools are great and the kids go to school with friends from church. The quality of life is closer to what we experienced growing up (kids play outside, don't have to arrange every moment of their lives, etc.) than what we could have ever had in New York.

There have been trade-offs. Our income is significantly lower. Doug's commute is twice as far. Although housing was much more affordable when we moved, other things actually cost more here than they did in New York.

I also think that the kids might have had more educational advantages in New York. Our disitrict was an "inner-city" district and because of that received a LOT of Federal funding. All-day Pre-K; all-day Kindergarten...for EVERYONE, not just those chosen in the Lottery who can Afford to pay for it. At least 6 computers in every classroom, plus computer labs. Theater programs, Music programs, Science Fairs that would knock your socks off, etc.

It's not always an easy decision to make. But, as has already been suggested, if you pray about it and feel good about making the move, don't hesitate to go for it!

does that help??

The Dillon 6 said...

one more PS

Don't feel bad about your families not visiting you...Becca never comes to my house either, and we're ACROSS THE STREET. ;)

Rebecca said...

What are you talking about Melissa? I'm at your house a couple days a week.. AT LEAST! Your the one never at MY house! ;)

PS... Maria, don't forget that if you never took risks you'd wouldn't be where you are right now.

Jaime said...

Well, you've probably already made a decision I would assume. But, I like the advice you've been given. You truly know what is best for your family, and if the Lord helped you find this house, if it works out, then you'll have a beautiful new home to brag about. I would go for it myself. Good luck! Remember to update us on your decision. :)

san said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
san said...

As one of the good friends you would be leaving behind I can only say this - Don't even think about it!